Search This Blog

Monday, February 1, 2010

Poem: Saying I Love You At The Beach

Since February includes Valentine's day, I will share some love poems I have written this month. 

When I was 19, I fell in love for the first time.  It was painful, agonizing, transformative.  Although the romance itself did not go anywhere, it generated several poems.  Here is one of them:


Saying I Love You at the Beach

What are the borders of the sky?
You say the fish in the water.
You say fish.
The sky contained.  Wish.
I say my fish is in your water.
We catch the borders in our mouths
like hooks to pull us back.
You say boundaries.
I say swim.
Green sweet algae rubbing against clouds.
Yes, we have found our waves in the wind.
I say hold my fin.  Contained.  The mirror.
The age, the joy, the firm belief.
Gone.  Only air.  The joy of flight.
Leap and glitter like a plate of armor
on a silver fish.  Yes, they swim in here.
Hear my heart's tide.  The shells wash up on the beach.
The fish in the tank has no existence.
On the rocky shore is the one beat.
My fish is in your water.  In your eyes, the sky contained.

No comments:

Post a Comment